Overseas Qualifications Unit


An appointment is necessary to have your qualification assessed. All required documents must be produced or the application may not be accepted. Hours of service for appointments: 8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

The professional standing of the qualification in Australia is a matter for the appropriate Australian professional body or registration authority to determine.

Similarly, the academic status of the qualification for the purposes of admission to a course of study at an Australian tertiary institution is a matter for the institution concerned to determine. Please contact the relevant institution for more information.

Service we provide at the Overseas Qualification Unit

  • Comparative education assessment of overseas qualifications obtained from recognised higher education institutions, to an Australian qualification
  • Issue a letter for assessment advice if information provided is verifiable.

Who can have their qualification assessed

  • A person who lives in the Northern Territory
  • An Australian citizen
  • A person who holds a valid Australian work or student visa
  • A person who holds a valid Australian visa, including a 457 visa
  • A person who has been granted permanent Australian residency

Qualifications we can assess

  • Tertiary and Higher Education qualifications - usually Diplomas, Bachelors, Masters, PhDs

Original or certified true copy of documents you need to bring to your appointment

  • Passport
  • Visa/residency certification
  • Qualification award
  • Academic transcript
  • All documents need to be, or be translated into English
  • Evidence of name change, i.e. marriage certificate (if applicable)

How long does it take to process a request?

  • Depending on the qualification, the institution and the year in which you received your qualification, the process can take up to 4 weeks.

Is there a fee for assessment?

  • There is no fee for eligible clients for comparative education assessment. There is a fee if you need to have your qualifications and transcripts translated.

We cannot assess

  • Professional qualifications (eg health professions, engineering, teaching)
  • Short courses (less than one year) and single subjects
  • Partially completed qualifications
  • Secondary school qualifications
  • Trade and Vocational Certificates
  • Work experience, either professional or technical
  • Credit towards further study

Office of Multicultural Affairs, Overseas Qualifications Unit
Level 9, NT House, 22 Mitchell Street, Darwin NT 0800
GPO Box 4396 DARWIN NT 0801
Phone: 8999 3891 or 8999 3894
Email: multiculturalaffairs.dcm@nt.gov.au
Website: www.nt.gov.au/dcm/multicultural/overseas.html

Interpreting and Translating Services

Interpreting and Translating Service NT (Fees apply for this service)
Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.00pm Ground floor Pella House, 40 Cavenagh Street, Darwin
GPO Box 4621, Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 8999 8506 Email: itsnt@nt.gov.au Website: www.itsnt.nt.gov.au

Skills Recognition, Licensing and Regulating bodies

Australian Education International - National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition
Fees apply if an application for qualification assessment is submitted.
Website: http://www.aei.gov.au/About-AEI/Contact-Us/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

Australian Skills Recognition Information
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Website: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/a-z.htm

Trades Recognition Australia
Department of Education, Employment and Workforce Relations
Website: http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Programs/SkillsAssess/TRA/Pages/default.aspx

Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services
Website: http://www.vetassess.com.au/

Teachers Registration Board NT Website: http://www.trb.nt.gov.au/
Teachers Registration Board SA Website: http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/default.php

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority
Website: http://www.ahpra.gov.au/

Engineers Australia
Website: http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/