Overseas Qualifications Unit
An appointment is necessary to have your qualification assessed. All required documents must be produced or the application may not be accepted. Hours of service for appointments: 8.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.
The professional standing of the qualification in Australia is a matter for the appropriate Australian professional body or registration authority to determine.
Similarly, the academic status of the qualification for the purposes of admission to a course of study at an Australian tertiary institution is a matter for the institution concerned to determine. Please contact the relevant institution for more information.
Service we provide at the Overseas Qualification Unit
- Comparative education assessment of overseas qualifications obtained from recognised higher education institutions, to an Australian qualification
- Issue a letter for assessment advice if information provided is verifiable.
Who can have their qualification assessed
- A person who lives in the Northern Territory
- An Australian citizen
- A person who holds a valid Australian work or student visa
- A person who holds a valid Australian visa, including a 457 visa
- A person who has been granted permanent Australian residency
Qualifications we can assess
- Tertiary and Higher Education qualifications - usually Diplomas, Bachelors, Masters, PhDs
Original or certified true copy of documents you need to bring to your appointment
- Visa/residency certification
- Qualification award
- Academic transcript
- All documents need to be, or be translated into English
- Evidence of name change, i.e. marriage certificate (if applicable)
How long does it take to process a request?
- Depending on the qualification, the institution and the year in which you received your qualification, the process can take up to 4 weeks.
Is there a fee for assessment?
- There is no fee for eligible clients for comparative education assessment. There is a fee if you need to have your qualifications and transcripts translated.
We cannot assess
- Professional qualifications (eg health professions, engineering, teaching)
- Short courses (less than one year) and single subjects
- Partially completed qualifications
- Secondary school qualifications
- Trade and Vocational Certificates
- Work experience, either professional or technical
- Credit towards further study
Office of Multicultural Affairs, Overseas Qualifications Unit
Level 9, NT House, 22 Mitchell Street, Darwin NT 0800
GPO Box 4396 DARWIN NT 0801
Phone: 8999 3891 or 8999 3894
Interpreting and Translating Services
Interpreting and Translating Service NT (Fees apply for this service)
Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.00pm Ground floor Pella House, 40 Cavenagh Street, Darwin
GPO Box 4621, Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 8999 8506 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.itsnt.nt.gov.au
Skills Recognition, Licensing and Regulating bodies
Australian Education International - National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition
Fees apply if an application for qualification assessment is submitted.
Australian Skills Recognition Information
Department of Immigration and Citizenship
Trades Recognition Australia
Department of Education, Employment and Workforce Relations
Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services
Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority