Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
The Northern Territory Department of Chief Minister is responsible for:
- overseeing or coordinating major government strategies
- coordinating recovery phase of an emergency
- coordinating government responses to issues or incidents of NT security
- promoting economic development of the Northern Territory (NT)
- social development of Territorians
- building and strengthening trade relationships
- working closely with local government bodies and land councils
- coordinating the NT’s participation in the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) and the Council of Australian Federation (CAF).
The Department of Chief Minister also includes the:
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Office of Senior Territorians
- Office of Youth Affairs.
The department supports strong executive government frameworks in a number of ways:
- The Cabinet Office provides secretariat services to the Northern Territory Cabinet, Executive Council, Department of the Chief Minister and the Remuneration Tribunal.
- Government House and the Office of the Administrator provide secretarial, hospitality, ceremonial and domestic support for the Administrator of the Northern Territory in Office and coordinates the maintenance and development of Government House buildings, grounds and equipment.
- The Office of the Parliamentary Counsel provides legislative drafting services for the Northern Territory Government, private members of the Legislative Assembly of the Northern Territory and statutory authorities.
- Protocol NT advises government on all aspects of protocol relating to ceremony, official hospitality and official visits to the Territory. The unit also coordinates arrangements for dignitary visits and manages government VIP vehicle fleet.
Positioning the Territory for the future is a key strategic priority for Department of the Chief Minister.
Major strategies in this regard are:
- articulating the government’s vision for the Northern Territory
- maximising opportunities for the Northern Territory arising out of national policy initiatives.
- leading intergovernmental frameworks to promote the Northern Territory’s interests and objectives.
The Department of the Chief Minister plays a vital role in the economic development of the Northern Territory, as well as the social development of Territorians, in a number of ways.
Our primary purpose is to support the Chief Minister and government to develop a confident, growing and socially cohesive Territory.
We therefore have an important role in articulating and implementing the Northern Territory Government’s priorities for the Territory. We are responsible for overseeing or coordinating major government strategies as well as positioning the Territory to achieve those priorities.
Hon Adam Graham Giles MLA
Read more on the Legislative Assembly website.
Last updated: 22 April 2016