Investing in the bush
The Northern Territory Government is delivering strategic projects that create jobs, improve regional infrastructure, encourage investment and restore local decision making to strengthen regional and remote communities.
Key priorities include:
- renewing the Aboriginal Affairs Strategy
- supporting government’s commitment to Local Decision Making
- supporting emerging Aboriginal leaders
- offering support for Aboriginal Leadership and Governance Forum
- and ensuring land and sea ownership delivers on economic and social aspirations of Aboriginal people.
These projects are coordinated by Office of Aboriginal Affairs unit.
The Northern Territory Government has committed $1.3 million to commence government’s Local Decision Making agenda.
Local Decision Making is a 10 year commitment to transfer, where possible, government service delivery to Aboriginal people and organisations based on their community aspirations.
It is about government, Aboriginal representative organisations and Aboriginal people working together on:
- Local Government
- Education and Training
- Looking after children
- Law and Justice.
The Northern Territory Government has committed to discussions on developing a Treaty in the Northern Territory with Aboriginal Territorians. The government’s new approach to Aboriginal Affairs focuses on empowerment, engagement, and capacity building to support treaty or agreement making.
Last updated: 12 June 2019