Cabinet and protocol
Protocol NT advises government on all aspects of protocol relating to ceremony, official gifts, the Northern Territory (NT) flag, Coat of Arms and other official emblems of the NT.
The work group coordinates arrangements for dignitary visits, manages VIP chauffeur services, State Funerals and memorial services.
Protocol NT also has responsibility for managing official ministerial hospitality.
These services help government promote the Territory as a place to live, work and invest, contribute to the growth of stronger national and international relationships and help foster a strong community spirit through recognising achievement and celebrating important events.
NT Flag and official emblems
Read about the dress code for official functions in the NT.
Table of precedence for NT
Read the table of precedence for NT.
Table of precedence for Commonwealth
Read the table of precedence for Commonwealth.
Contact Protocol NT by emailing email@example.com or calling 8999 6238.
- provides secretariat services to the Northern Territory Cabinet, the Executive Council and the Remuneration Tribunal
- advises ministers and agencies on machinery-of-government matters, maintains the government’s Administrative Arrangements Orders and has a coordination role in managing a number of whole-of-government databases and reporting to Cabinet
- coordinates arrangements for regional Cabinet visits
- works with the NT Archives Services in relation to the annual opening of 30 year old Cabinet records
- provides a ministerial liaison service to the Department of the Chief Minister and its ministers
- manages the government’s election commitments database
- makes arrangements for the appointment of ministers and NTPS chief executive officers
- provides a parliamentary liaison service for government including tabling of Government documents and regulations and coordination of responses to parliamentary written questions
- administers the Assembly Members and Statutory Officers (Remuneration and Other Entitlements) Act
- advises and assists agencies on matters relating to government board administration and remuneration
- has responsibilities in respect of the NT (Self-Government) Act, Audit Act, Interpretation Act and the Electoral Act
- provides secretariat support to those committees chaired by the Department’s CEO.
A copy of the Cabinet Handbook can be found on Territory Stories
Last updated: 06 May 2020
Share this page: