Worker and wellbeing

Who the fund is for

The Worker and Wellbeing Fund can help you if you have lost your job or your income has been reduced because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and you are not already receiving financial and/or wellbeing support, including Centrelink benefits.

This fund is complementary to initiatives already announced by the Northern Territory (NT) and Australian Governments.

Please refer to the fact sheets available for

What it does

The Worker and Wellbeing Fund will:

  • help people access wellbeing and other counselling or support services that are available
  • help people navigate the welfare system and access income and any other financial support available
  • help workers who have lost their job find new employment opportunities fast –such as guiding people to job matching services like the Territory Jobs Hub
  • assist Territorians who require access to accommodation and other essentials.

Red Cross have partnered with Melaleuca Refugee Centre to provide emergency relief for international students and visa holders and Territorians who have lost their job or their income has been reduced because of coronavirus (COVID-19) and are not eligible for other supports including Centrelink.

Please contact Red Cross on +61 403 987 018 to access emergency relief and support.

In line with changes being made for Australian citizens and permanent residents, most temporary visa holders with work rights will now be able to access their Australian superannuation to help support themselves during this crisis.

The following categories of temporary visa holders can access up to $10.000 from their superannuation fund before the end of this financial year – 30 June 2020:

  • International Students (subclass 500) who have been in Australia for at least 12 months
  • Skilled regional provisional visa holders (subclass 489, subclass 491)
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional provisional subclass 494)

Applications for the early release of superannuation will be accepted through the Australian government myGov website from mid-April 2020.

It is natural to feel stress, anxiety, grief and worry during a major event or pandemic. There are a range of services currently available across the NT to provide financial and wellbeing assistance support, crisis accommodation and peer support.

Find out more about managing anxiety and stress.

For information regarding wellbeing services in the NT go to the Northern Territory Government website.

Mates in Construction

The Mates in Construction suicide prevention and awareness program is about mates looking after mates.

The 24/7 help line is 1300 MIC 111 (1300 642 111)

Phone: 0408 294 316


Find out more about Mates in Construction at:

Aboriginal Medical Services Alliance of the NT

Can help direct Aboriginal community members to social and emotional wellbeing support within their regions, go to -

General emergency relief support

Information regarding the community sector social services support and emergency relief is available on the NTCOSS website.

Information regarding crisis accommodation is available on the Shelter Me website.


Financial counselling.

Phone: 08 8985 0000
Fax: 08 8985 0001


Financial counselling by appointment and referral.

HK Training and Consulting

Private consultancy providing financial literacy and counselling services to Aboriginal clients primarily in the West Arnhem region.

Phone: 08 8927 2499


National Debt Helpline and limited face to face financial counselling.

Phone: 1800 007 007

If you, or someone you care about, feel overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, you can talk to someone.

For 24-hour support, you can call:

If you or someone you are with is in imminent danger, call 000.

Get a list of 24-hour support services on the Northern Territory Government website.

Find out more about how you can practice self-care.

An advisory group chaired by Wendy Morton, former NTCOSS Executive Director, with representation from business, community and unions has been established. This group will be tasked with providing advice on how to target the right resources to the right people, as well as identifying where there are gaps in the availability of services.

To provide financial and wellbeing support at this time — however knowing where to go, and which organisations are best placed to help address your specific needs can be challenging.

The Fund will help you navigate through the maze of assistance available and connect you with the right support for your needs.

It is designed to meet new and emerging gaps, bolstering the capacity of organisations to respond to the unmet need, including:

  • financial counselling services
  • relationship counselling services
  • general wellbeing; and
  • peer support

To address this challenge the Fund will support organisations to assist Territorians, to navigate services such as Centrelink, perhaps for the first time, and support those who can benefit from the assistance available from a broad range of social or community organisations.

If you need further information regarding the Fund or have a query, contact us.

The above information will be updated regularly with new worker and wellbeing support information available.

Last updated: 09 April 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.